- Few know this, but in South Africa, Tulips are actually wintering flowers. They are rare in the warmer months of the year when they are grown in cold rooms.
- Worldwide they are the third most popular flower, only beaten by Roses and Chrysanthemum.
- They are the only cut flowers that grow in water!
- Tulips feel the drop in temperature at night and close their petals.
- The tulip’s petals are edible! Depending on the colour, they range from being sweet, to tasting a bit bland. PS. If you want to try this, the pink, white and peach petals are the sweetest, and the red and yellow the most flavourful.
- About 90% of South Africa’s tulips are exported.
- Tulip bulbs multiply when dormant.
- Tulips are one of few flowers that have pores along the stem that absorb water!
Out of stock